Welcome to the Carmel School Association - Elsa High library, your centre for literacy and research, a place that fosters and celebrates the love of reading, and a learning hub for the whole school community.
- What's New This Week?
- Academic Study Skills and Support
- Diploma Program
- Educational Websites
- English Additional Language
- Hebrew עִברִית
- Jewish Studies
- 普通话 Mandarin
- News Media
- Physical Education
- Personal, Social, Health and Economic (PSHE)
- Service as Action
- Social Science
Library book of the week - junior and teen
#12 teen - The Fault in Our Stars by John Green#12 junior - Dancing on the Edge by Han Nolan#11 teen - His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik#11 junior - The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman#10 teen - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
#10 junior - Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper
#9 teen - Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater#9 junior - The Giver by Lois Lowry
#7 teen - The Fall of Berlin 1945 by Antony Beevor
#7 junior - Shades of Magenta by Echo Freer
#6 junior - Maddigan's Fantasia by Margaret Mahy
#5 teen - If Not Now, When? by Primo Levi
#3 teen - The Cartoon Guide to Chemistry
#2 teen - The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
#1 junior - Millions by Frank Cottrell Boyce
23 February - 24 March 2018 46th Hong Kong Arts Festival
21 January 2018 Hong Kong Marathon
17–31 January 2018 Volvo Ocean Race and Festival
17–19 November 2017 Clockenflap Music & Arts Festival
4 November 2017 Ed Sheeran
3-12 November 2017 Hong Kong International Literary Festival
20 October to 19 November 2017 Autumn Thematic Arts Festival
21 September 2017 Ariana Grande
1 May - 30 June 2017 Le French May
7-9 April 2017 Hong Kong Rugby Sevens
31 March - 18 May 2017 Roland Flexner & Ai Weiwei Exhibition
24-26 February 2017 Dragonland Music Festival
16 February 2017 - 18 March 2017 The 45th Hong Kong Arts Festival
9 December 2016 - 26 February 2017 ‘Rising Above: The Kinsey African American Art & History Collection
9-12 February 2017 The Longines Masters of Hong Kong
9 November 2016 - 10 April 2017 Bird Watching Festival 2016/17
- 28/09/17 Dying to sleep: We are facing a ‘catastrophic sleep-loss epidemic’.
- 27/09/17 American football protests: Why do players kneel or link arms?
- 26/09/17 First They Killed My Father is a surprising, devastating triumph.
- 25/09/17 Fake news: How not to fall for it.
- 20/09/17 Family seeks to discover fate of Swedish WWII hero.
- 19/09/17 The schoolboy jailed for writing to BBC radio.
- 18/09/17 Infographic: The ultimate guide to note taking in class.
- 15/09/17 Israel’s supreme court cancels conscription exemption law.
- 14/09/17 Hip hop takes centre stage in China for the first time.
- 13/09/17 Burmese (Myanmar) Govt fake images to frame Rohingya for violence.
- 12/09/17 Before you study, ask for help.
- 11/09/17 British arms sales to repressive regimes soar to £5bn since election.
- 08/09/17 The life cycle of a t-shirt.
- 07/09/17 Plastic fibers found in 83% of the world's tap water.
- 06/09/17 Myanmar conflict: Rohingya refugee surge hits Bangladesh.
- 05/09/17 Dozens rally for Israeli man after 3 years in Hamas captivity.
- 04/09/17 Disabilities don’t stop these experts in science and tech.
- 01/09/17 Oil spill and two consecutive storms leave Hong Kong’s beaches strewn with debris.
- 31/08/17 Explainer: Hurricanes, cyclones and typhoons.
- 30/08/17 Which stress type are you, and how do you deal with problems?
- 29/08/17 Fact Check: News literacy programs help students sort fact from fiction.
- 28/08/17 From Disney to Tolkien: movies we can watch again and again.
- 27/08/17 Holocaust survivor leads protest against hate in Berkeley’s streets.
- 25/08/17 Rabbis protest Trump’s comments by boycotting conference call.
- 24/08/17 Typhoon Hato batters Hong Kong.
- 23/08/17 1 in 10 Americans think neo-Nazi views okay.
- 22/08/17 Mindfulness in eating pays the body big dividends.
- 21/08/17 Thousands march in Hong Kong for release of pro-democracy leaders.
- 18/08/17 Students' idea to make travelling on the MTR more pleasant for Hongkongers.
- 17/08/17 Back to school tips for students.
- 23/06/17 World population to near 10 billion by 2050, says UN.
- 22/06/17 Jewish millennials increasingly putting Zionism second and America first.
- 21/06/17 Inspiring Instagram accounts that make your day and drive away that sense of #FOMO.
- 20/06/17 How much do you know about solving global warming?
- 19/06/17 Chalk Girl: a protester at the heart of Hong Kong’s democracy movement.
- 16/06/17 Israeli author, David Grossman wins Man Booker prize.
- 15/06/17 Trump sells Qatar $12 billion of U.S. weapons days after accusing it of funding terrorism.
- 14/06/17 Artist recreates New York City grocery store using felt.
- 13/06/17 The science of needing green in your live.
- 12/06/17 The blacklist of the world’s 10 most climate-damaging foods.
- 09/06/17 Boxed in: life inside the 'coffin cubicles' of Hong Kong – in pictures.
- 08/06/17 The women who fought for Hanoi.
- 07/06/17 A message from African rangers to Hong Kong: End the ivory trade, because our bodies are on the line.
- 06/06/17 1967 war: Six days that changed the Middle East.
- 05/06/17 Expert tips on avoiding painful "text neck".
- 02/06/17 Wonder Woman banned by Lebanon over Israeli lead Gal Gadot.
- 29/05/17 Israel’s long-term economic growth is not sustainable.
- 26/05/17 Google's AlphaGo A.I. beats world's number one in ancient game of Go.
- 25/05/17 Upon arrival, Trump sees Europe in stark terms.
- 24/05/17 Advice if you're ever upset by the news.
- 23/05/17 Popular social media sites 'harm young people's mental health'.
- 22/05/17 Australian teen’s invention can warn of deadly rip currents.
- 19/05/17 The violinist of Venezuela, playing through riots and tear gas.
- 18/05/17 Math champion wins US$20,000 with answer in less than a second.
- 17/05/17 Remote Pacific island found buried under tonnes of plastic.
- 16/05/17 Genius brothers, 11 and 14, graduate high school and college this weekend.
- 15/05/17 The Helper documentary debuts in Hong Kong on Mother's Day, 14th May.
- 12/05/17 Chinese tech companies find a warmer welcome in Israel.
- 11/05/17 The girls’ football team that joined a boys’ league, and won it.
- 10/05/17 The Jewish refugees the US turned away.
- 09/05/17 Why Macron won: Luck, skill and France’s dark history.
- 08/05/17 22-year-old raises $31 Million to clean up plastic in the Pacific.
- 05/05/17 Is China the world’s new colonial power?
- 04/05/17 Hong Kong students design app to help human trafficking victims.
- 02/05/17 60 soldiers, 11 civilians fallen since last Memorial Day.
- 01/05/17 Israel at 69 has 8,680,000 citizens, 43% of world Jewry.
- 28/04/17 Flying cars edge closer to reality.
- 27/04/17 Has democracy reached a breaking point?
- 26/04/17 French voters reject mainstream politics in ‘revolutionary’ vote.
- 25/04/17 The Holocaust: Who are the missing million?
- 24/04/17 New global Holocaust Remembrance Day campaign to aid poorest survivors.
- 21/04/17 Horrible hormones and a way to tame that inner beast.
- 19/04/17 Noticing mistakes boosts learning.
- 07/04/17 Model Matzah Bakery passes on ancient tradition.
- 06/04/17 Here’s how to spot a fake news story.
- 05/04/17 Gas attack on Syrian town sparks worldwide outrage.
- 04/04/17 Singaporeans are rediscovering one of the world’s largest cemeteries.
- 03/04/17 IsraAID emergency teams support flood survivors in Peru.
- 31/03/17 Ghost in the Shell’s whitewashing: does Hollywood have an Asian problem?
- 30/03/17 Did your burger come with a side of non-degrading pollutants?
- 29/03/17 UN envoy vows no more resolutions against Israel.
- 28/03/17 Laptops containing 3.7 million Hong Kong voters’ data stolen after election.
- 27/03/17 Beijing-backed Carrie Lam picked as Hong Kong's first female leader.
- 24/03/17 Tensions between Berlin and Ankara threaten EU-Turkey migrant deal.
- 23/03/17 Google tries to stop ads from appearing next to hate speech.
- 22/03/17 Climate breaks multiple records in 2016, with global impacts.
- 21/03/17 You're not crazy; it's just your teenage brain.
- 20/03/17 Modern-day slavery in focus: how World Cup workers are deceived.
- 17/03/17 U.S. Boston schools adopt ‘new’ world map.
- 16/03/17 How Anglophones speak French without knowing it.
- 15/03/17 Four-year-old trekked miles in subzero Siberia to help sick grandmother.
- 14/03/17 World wide web creator Tim Berners-Lee targets fake news.
- 13/03/17 Israel: contender at the World Baseball Classic.
- 10/03/17 'That one day is all you have': how Hong Kong's domestic workers seized Sunday.
- 09/03/17 What is Purim? The history and meaning of the Jewish holiday.
- 08/03/17 Gender Equality Works.
- 07/03/17 Four tips for reading a scientific paper.
- 06/03/17 North Korea fires four missiles into Sea of Japan.
- 05/03/17 In Israel, lauding and lamenting the era of Trump.
- 04/03/17 Hong Kong group urges us to work harder to close gender gap in STEM subjects.
- 03/03/17 Nintendo Switch, and the unconventional hype for an unusual game console.
- 02/03/17 Race to be Hong Kong's next leader kicks off.
- 01/03/17 Israeli army sets sights on recruits with autism.
- 28/02/17 Dealing with, stress, exams, self-confidence, and bullying in secondary school ... we've been there too.
- 27/02/17 U.K. Education: Older teenagers face biggest funding cuts.
- 24/02/17 Speaking Mandarin may offer kids a musical edge.
- 23/02/17 Thrilling discovery of seven Earth-sized exoplanets orbiting nearby star.
- 22/02/17 Why 20 million people are on brink of famine in a ‘world of plenty’.
- 21/02/17 Football: Hong Kong’s ‘Beef Ball’ takes bite out of gender gap.
- 20/02/17 Global arms trade reaches highest point since cold war era.
- 18/02/17 Communications expert explains how science should respond to fake news.
- 16/02/17 Harvard team could bring woolly mammoth back from extinction in two years.
- 15/02/17 Brexit: All you need to know about the UK leaving the EU.
- 14/02/17 Canadian judge rules in favour of forcibly adopted First Nations survivors.
- 13/02/17 Finally, food trucks hit the streets in Hong Kong.
- 10/02/17 How Valentine's Day became a commercial juggernaut.
- 08/02/17 Israel intercepts multiple rockets fired from Egypt.
- 07/02/17 Bullying hurts — but peer support really helps.
- 06/02/17 20 Rabbis arrested during protest over travel ban.
- 05/02/17 Subway riders scrub anti-Semitic graffiti.
- 02/02/17 When your devices spy on you.
- 01/02/17 The ultimate cure for fake-news.
- 26/01/17 5 Things You Didn't Know About the Year of the Rooster.
- 25/01/17 My idol turned out to be my sister.
- 24/01/17 The Holocaust's unlearned lessons.
- 23/01/17 Friends of violent teens are more likely to become violent themselves.
- 22/01/17 11-year-old CEO of MinorMynas is anything but minor.
- 19/01/17 Jewish and Israeli organizations deliver emergency aid to refugees on frozen Greek island.
- 18/01/17 10 times Trump spread fake news.
- 17/01/17 Behold The US$2,000 Pizza!
- 15/01/17 E-waste in East and Southeast Asia jumps 63 percent in five years.
- 14/01/17 Surviving the Holocaust: ‘I didn’t allow any hatred to grow. But I don’t blame those who did'.
- 11/01/17 Why puppies love baby talk.
- 10/01/17 Barack Obama legacy: Did he improve US race relations?
- 10/01/17 Veteran war correspondent who broke the news of the Nazi invasion of Poland dies in Hong Kong.
- 09/01/17 Addicted to smartphones?
Website of the week
#12 SuperBetter - Develop, strengthen positive habits with this motivating game
#11 Mental Floss - Tells you the hidden stories behind popular happenings around the world
#10 Life Hacks For Kids - How to make cool stuff out of ordinary things
#9 The Borowitz Report - Satirical political news blog from The New Yorker
#8 Kiddle - Visual search engine for kids
#7 HowStuffWorks - Unbiased, reliable, easy-to-understand answers and explanations
#6 Sense-Lang's Balloon Typing Game - Free, unique and user-friendly typing course
#5 StoryCorps - Sharing humanity’s stories to create a more just and compassionate world
#4 Teen Ink - Magazine, website & books reviews written by teens
#3 NOVA Labs - Online science, mastered: exceptional content within meaningful tasks
#2 Big History Project - Fascinating look at life's bigger questions offers a fresh perspective
#1 Storybird - Artful Storytelling
- 301 Prompts for Argumentative Writing
- 500 Prompts for Narrative and Personal Writing
- Academic Word List - Oxford
- Academic Writing Examples & Phrases
- APA Guidelines
- APA Interactive Resources
- Connectors and Linking Words
- English Grammar Lessons and Exercises
- Guide to Essay Writing
- High School Organization
- Perfect English Grammar
- Purdue OWL, On-line Writing Lab
- Spelling Bee Interactive
- Tips for Different Types of Writing
- Andy Warhol's Campbell's Soup Can
- Art Cyclopedia
- Art Historical Analysis - A Basic Introduction
- Creative Blog Arts Magazine
- Getty Museum Channel
- Google Arts & Culture
- Google Street Art
- High Renaissance: Florence and Rome
- How art can help you analyze - TED-Ed
- Looking at Paintings
- Magnum Photos
- Museo Nacional Del Prado - Madrid | YouTube Channel
- SmartHistory - Art, History, Conversation | YouTube Channel
- Tate Art Gallery - London | YouTube Channel
- The Israel Museum - Jerusalem | YouTube Channel
- The Lourve - Paris | YouTube Channel
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art - New York | YouTube Channel
- 500 Words - story-writing competition for kids
- American Authors On The Web
- Books By Author - Digital Library
- Brown Book Shelf
- Epic Reads
- Good Reads
- Guys Read
- Harry Potter Lexicon
- Judy Blume
- Neil Gaiman
- Recommended Books - Children | Teens / Young Adults
- Teen Books
- Teen Reads
- The Book Trust
- YA Book Central
- Planet eBook - Open Classic Literature
- 01 How Search Work
- 02 How To Google Like A Pro
- 03 A Google A Day
- Bielefeld Academic Search Engine
- College Open Textbooks
- Digital Public Library of America
- Directory of Open Access Journals
- Google Scholar
- New York Public Library's Digital Collection
- OER Commons Digital Library
- Portal of 48 National Libraries of Europe
- ScholarWorks - Central Washington University
- ScholarWorks - UMass Amherst
- ScholarWorks - University of New Orleans
- The College Open Textbook Library
- World Digital Library
- Your Dictionary
- Academic Word List Practice Test
- Alphabetic Order of Common Errors in English Usage
- American Phrases and Sayings
- Cambridge Dictionary
- Game: Discover Idioms
- Game: Lyrics Training
- Games to Learn English
- Grammar Tests and Exercises Grade 6 - 12
- Grammar Topics & Tests - Intermediate
- Grammar Topics & Tests - Upper Intermediate
- How Many Words Do You Know? Test Your Vocab!
- Idiom Lists & Quizzes
- Improve Writing Skills With Millions of Phrases
- Interactive Vocabulary Building Activities
- Learn English Teens
- Learning English
- Oxford Learner's Dictionary
- Phrasal Verb Exercises
- Premier League Football
- Video Podcast Multimedia Source of News & Information
100 American Literature Titles
Alphabetic Order of Common Errors in English Usage
Animal Farm BBC Podcast Discussion
Lit2Go - Audio Collection Stories and Poems
Bartleby Literature Online
The Poetry Archive - U.K.
The Poetry Foundation - U.S.
Twenty-Five Great American Novels To Read
100 Greatest British Novels
- Apprendre le français en ligne
- Comprendre le monde en français
- d'Herodote - l'Histoire
- France 24 - L’actualité internationale video et podcast
- France culture
- France musique émissions et podcasts
- GeoAdo: Le magazine de notre planète
- Larousse - Dictionnaire encyclopédique
- Le Monde - Actualité à la Une
- Les aventures de Tintin
- Les Débrouillards - drôlement scientifique
- Mensuel critique d’informations et d’analyses
- 3D Digital Library of the World's Cultural Heritage Sites
- Anne Frank
- Arts and Letters Daily - Philosophy, Literature, Culture
- Auschwitz-Birkenau Museum E-Learning
- BBC News - How revolutions happen: Patterns from Iran to Egypt 14/02/11
- Best of History Websites
- Documents of the Interwar Period
- Famous Speeches by Women
- Famous Speeches in History
- Global guide to WW I - Interactive Documentary
- Hyper History
- Martin Luther King
- Odyssey Ancient History
- Podcasts: History of the World in 100 Objects
- Royal Society of the Arts | YouTube Channel
- The American War in Vietnam
- The Atlantic Slave Trade | Crash Course History Video
- The British Museum
- The History of Our World in 18 Minutes
- The Imperial War Museums
- The Library of Congress - Newspapers | Photographs
- Aish - The Jewish Website
- Akhlah: The Jewish Children's Learning Network
- American Jewish Congress
- Anne Frank Museum
- Anti-Defamation League (ADL)
- Arab-Israeli Conflict: Basic Facts
- Bar-Ilan University
- Birthright Israel
- Bnei Akiva - Canada & U.S.
- Center for Jewish History
- Commentary Magazine
- Database of Jewish Texts for Social Justice
- Eretz Israel Museum
- G-dcast - Videos, Apps & More
- Hillel - Jewish Campus Organistaion
- Hong Kong Jewish Community Centre
- Hong Kong Jewish Film Festival
- Internet Jewish History Sourcebook
- Israel On Campus Coalition
- Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Jerusalem 3000: Three Millennia of History
- Jewish Book Review Blog
- Jewish Calendars and Date Converter
- Jewish Girls Unite
- Jewish Heritage U.K.
- Jewish Renaissance Culture Magazine
- Jewish Virtual Library
- Jewish Women's Archive
- La Comunità Ebraica - Jewish Community Rome
- Le Classement des Sites Internet Juive Francophone
- London Jewish Museum
- My Jewish Learning
- Shema Yisrael Network
- Tablet Magazine
- The American Jewish Historical Society
- The Israel Defence Forces (I.D.F.)
- The Israel Geography Game
- The Jewish Chronicle U.K.
- The Rohr - Jewish Learning Institute
- The Role of Jews in The Making of Hong Kong
- Yad Vashem | YouTube Channel
- Brain Bashers (logic puzzles and games)
- Center for Game Science, Washington Uni.
- Code Monster
- Coding - Code.org
- Enriching Mathematics
- Get the Math
- Girls' Angle Bulletin
- Graphing tool - 2D & 3D | 3D surface
- History of Calculus
- Interactive Mathematics
- Just Math Tutorials
- Khan Academy Math
- Math is Fun
- Math TV
- Math Pickle
- Maths Plus
- Numberphile - Supported by The Mathematical Sciences Research Inst.
- Purple Math
- The Art of Problem Solving Contests
- The European Digital Maths Library
- BBC Podcast: Book, Film, Music Review
- BBC Podcast: History of Culture
- BBC Podcast: The Film Programme
- BBC: A History of Ideas
- Council on Foreign Relations Podcast
- Cultural and Educational Media
- G-dcast - Videos, Apps & More
- History Podcasts
- How Does The Media Tell You What To Think?
- Jewish TV
- Mass Media, Society and Culture
- Media for Kids: Understand Types of Media
- Open Culture
- Public Domain Photographs
- TED Talks
- TED Radio Hour on NPR
- Understanding Media and Culture: Academic Text
- BBC News
- CBBC - Children's News
- CNN Student News
- Foreign Policy Magazine
- Jewish Telegraphic Agency
- Jewish Times Asia
- International Newspapers in English
- New Internationalist
- Scientific American
- Smithsonian Tween Tribune
- The Guardian
- The Jerusalem Post
- The New York Times
- The South China Morning Post | Young Post
- Time For Kids
- World Wide Newspaper List
- Badminton World News
- BBC 5 Live Football Daily
- Bitesize Physical Education
- BrianMac Components of Fitness
- BrianMac Skill Development
- Runners' World
- Sports Rules and History
- Swim Smooth
- Swimming World
- The International Basketball Federation
- Women's English Football League
- World Football
- World Golf Foundation
- World Hockey
- World Rugby
- AmazingSpace.org - Space Telescope Science Institute
- Biodiversity Heritage Library
- Biology News
- Bug Guide
- Chemistry News
- Earth and Moon Viewer
- Engineer Girl
- Global Footprint Data
- How Stuff Works
- National Geographic YouTube Channel
- Nat Geo WILD YouTube Channel
- National Science Digital Library
- Physics Central
- Physics News
- Public Library of Science
- Science Daily News
- Science for Students
- Science Kidz
- Science Magazine
- Science Toy Maker
- Scientific American
- Scientists @ The Smithsonian
- Tech Outlook
- Technology News
- The Fourth Industrial Revolution At a Glance | Full Version
- Ad-ucation - Interactive game raising awareness of advertising and marketing messages
- Bradshaw Foundation - World archaeology, anthropology and genetic research
- Brain Benefits from Being Bilingual - Infographic | Video | Report
- Urban Observatory: City Comparisons - Interactive exhibit comparing maps of world cities
- Edge - 'Knowledge for Sophisticated Minds'
- Famous Psychologists and Scientists
- Learn to make anything!
- LIFE Photo Archive
- The Women's Foundation Hong Kong
- The World Bank: Poverty
- UN Women - Global Champion | UN Women YouTube Channel
- UNICEF YouTube Channel
- Wesleyan University Psychology Data and Statistics
- We The Economy - 20 Short Films
- World Economic Forum | YouTube Channel